Thread: Pumps and heat
View Single Post
Unread 07-18-2002, 07:02 PM   #79
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by JimS
Actually my statement was based on experience as well as common sense. I have run waterblocks all nite with just a pump and no radiator and there is a noticeable amount of heat in the water after some time. On the other hand, by running the same test setup with a radiator, the difference between water temps. and ambient is not even noticeable.

Like I said, a good radiator makes this whole debate really a moot point. Unless you are approaching or at the limits of your radiator, pump heat is nothing to be concerned about.

bigben, I love how you keep your systems updated with the latest technology. I have a clawhammer CPU I will send you when I am done.
Looking forward to it!

I got into this thread becasue it's a topic of interest. For me (maybe just a few of us), I have a need to understand the physics behind it all.

Otherwise I agree, everything is going to come down to the rad.

So far, I think I've explored every component individually (or at least tried!) so that eventually, I'm able to understand how it all comes together.

It's clear to me though, that the rad is going to be the most difficult of all, since there really isn't any kind of standard for them. Fans have standards, pumps have standards, but rads are a whole different story.

So far, I've established that a higher pressure (higher velocity) can dissipate more heat. Good for the block, good for the rad. So I'm thinking of trying to build a rig with an effective flow rate of about 200 gph.

I've also spent a good deal of time looking into phase change, and it seems that the easiest thing to do, is to replace the rad with the bucket inside a humidifier, where you turn the cold coils inside the bucket.

Again, shooting for 200 gph (effective), it would be a fair bit easier to achieve, since there's no restriction from a rad, but as this thread indicates, I'd hit a wall because my pump would induce a fair amount of heat.

At this point, the block design matters a lot more, because I want a high pressure, but not so much that a pump will induce a lot more heat.

So I'm down to a cross-drilled design (which I believe to be of the best), but I'm still looking...

Last edited by bigben2k; 07-18-2002 at 07:11 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote