Thread: block designs
View Single Post
Unread 08-01-2002, 12:41 PM   #81
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Okay. I got to thinking when I saw a pic of this gnarly block/artwork this guy did in another post that involved swirling the water to prevent collision. Then I got to thinking about how hot spots form due to flow rate differentials in the block. Then I thought of the simple direct design of MeltMan's (good idea!), and put this together.

One inlet drops down into two exits that have a sectional volume sum equalling the inlet sectional volume. The water would be dumped directly onto the area directly above the die and there would be a small cone that would be centered on this flow that would, at its deepest point (the point) be 8mm from the die (at the thinnest point it would be 5mm thick). The two outlets would be offset to cause a whirlpool effect. This would cause there to be NO stagnant flow areas in the block and if the surfaces were roughed up for turbulence it would be a low resistance/high heat transfer design with NO low flow areas.

The inlet and outlet would be threaded for hose fittings, and te base plate would extend to the four corners for the mounting holes. This would be unsuitable for peltier use (obviously) but would be very VERY good for straight WC apps. Also note: a high pressure pump would be required to maintain a hard centripetal force on the water causing maximal flow. Also, the reason the top was "beefed up" with excess copper was to allow for more heat to be stored in the block for sudden heat spikes.

What do you guys think? It would be a bastard to make, but would work like a champ, methinks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg block.jpg (6.6 KB, 243 views)
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote