Thread: block designs
View Single Post
Unread 08-01-2002, 01:38 PM   #90
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
The only problem with this is that it will introduce stagnant areas behind the outlet baffles. But it illustrates how the flow is manipulated by the suction from the outlets.

Oh, and another way to illustrate this: those lawn sprinklers that spin around use this same principle to cause them to spin. Since the BLOCK isn't going to spin, the water will. You can't just neutralize forces in any equation.

Edit: nevermind the illustration. It wouldn't work because of the baffles. They would impede the circular flow. You're sure to have someone with a spinning lawn sprinkler living around you ... just look at the part that makes it spin. It looks remarkably like this block design (not the below illustration, but the above ones).
I hear you about the lawn... but that's different: the water is being ejected at an angle. In this case, there isn't anything to force the angle, so I (still) maintain that the coolant will flow in pretty much a straight line from the inlet to the outlets.

But hey, maybe it would work, just try it. I'm sure that you could jerry rig something out of pop cans or something, just for the purpose of observing the swirl.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote