View Single Post
Unread 11-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #49
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Reading this thread is VERY interesting and informative. While I relize this may not be of great imprtance to JD as his set up will not be in a case I'd still like to add one thought.

Most GFX blocks have the barbs going in the side of the block to avoid taking up space(flow here does not impact the base, so cooling could be slightly better), or the second option I've seen used is to use 90 degree barbs intering the top and directing the flow aginst the base (flow gets hurt).

Tex707 your aid here would be very valuable as I've no real skill at depicting designs like you have.

JD's 16 pin base has got lots going for it, but cut one side of the blocks top at an angle (35-45 degree?) and install the barbs in that sloped face. My reasoning is this:

1) Flow now is directed at the blocks base giving better heat removal.

2) Barbs now clear any heat sinks you'd care to use on RAM chips. Yet they do not take up a prohibative amount of space, no more than those 90 degree type barbs, and I'd guess a bit less.

One other thought JD, why not use copper tube for the inlet/outlets as in some of your other designs for the superior flow they offer?
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote