View Single Post
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:31 PM   #9
Graystar

I apologize to bigben if my post had a "discounting" tone about it. I certainly don't mean to discount anyone's ideas, as I certainly am no expert on this subject. I appreciate all comments and actually do give lots of thought to suggestions.

However, when someone makes such a direct design comment ("Your baseplate is too thin") then I would expect a more scientific explanation as to why, all other things being equal, a thicker base would have a positive benefit. The explanation given (" if it's too hot, then the water can't pick up the heat efficiently") doesn't make sense, as a greater delta T always leads to more efficient heat transfer. That's basic heat transfer. If there's some other factor involved, I didn't get it, so, I don't understand the reasoning. I can see how the other suggestions, relating to turbulence and fins and such, would improve the block. But those ideas would work regardless of the base thickness.

Bigben, if you can explain it better I'd love to hear it cause, in the end, it's the lowest temp that I'm after.

There should a picture of the mounted block in the first post of the thread. I used the clip from an old SK6 heatsink. The equipment I'm using is not very good. I am using the Ahanix Iceberg1 system and I simply replaced the kit block with my own. The pump is rated at 150 GPH with a head of 3 ft. Not very powerful at all. The radiator is as wide as an 80mm fan and about 1 1/2 times as long. It's a very small radiator that has terrible airflow through it.

I have a dual processor board that runs very hot because of the model 6.8.0 2200+ processors. These run about 5 watts hotter than the 6.8.1 2200+ processors. Since I don't have any form of "usual" pump or rad, I gauge performance by comparing the water cooled processor to the air cooled processor. With the old block the water cooler was only 1 degree cooler than the air cooler. This was expected, as the Iceberg1 is a poor performer. With the new block the temperature dropped by 3C to 4C. I then decided to add a second fan to the radiator. That dropped the temp another 3C. So right now, the new waterblock is sitting at 8C to 9C below the air-cooled processor. My current temperature is 43C. I hope that when I get a real pump and radiator (very soon) I'll be in the 30s. Oh, and my machine folds, so these temps are at 100% processor.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote