View Single Post
Unread 09-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #240
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Heres one for you all, this is with my 2200:
I bought my new hd, placed it onto the second channel. It booted up fine, and formatted the hard drive. It came up as a seperate drive. Great!!

I then turned it off and unplugged the old hd, and turned on again (with the new one still connected), it booted and everything is fine and dandy. No cloning or reinstalling of OS. So it would seem like, against popular opinion that the snap 2200 has the OS on the mobo. However to test this i tried the new bought one. That also had Snap OS v4 on it. So it seems like either the new mobo has Snap OS v4 on it, or the mobo copied the files across when it formatted the drive. However, the new mobo with either drive didn't have JVM on it whereas the old one did. With just the new drive attatched it has no JVM either, i haven't tried the original drive with the new mobo.

I tried booting it with no HD's attatched, but it can't find the server, as the link light dont light. With the new drive on the IDE 1 and the old on IDE 2, it boots and has snap extensions on it.

With just the 1 new drive it runs reallly quiet, probably similar with another of the same, no more noise than just the fan running. Has anyone a way to remove the raid from the old drive? Otherwise i may just buy a another new HD.

If someone can tell me how to make an image for others that'd be great, as i know how to clone but not make an image
I actually talked to someone from snap and that's how they said it would work.
He also warned me if I wanted to use another server to reinitialize my drives to be sure and configure the borrowed server for two individual drives first. If you don't it treats the second drive as a failed mirror. It will initialize is but you can not remove the mirror from the first one. My thought is that since you can boot up with your one new drive you might be able to use a PC to remove the partition info from the mirrored drive then hook it up and let it initialize. It should initialize as a single drive. I am no expert though so maybe some inputs from others would be a good idea.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote