View Single Post
Unread 09-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #245
packetsdontlie
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoP
The differences between your Snap with mine are Bios and Hardware versions.

The drives of Snap Server 4000 with serial before 70700042-003 have to be connected with jumpers set as master/slave, after with jumpers set as Cable Select.

What version of Snap Os is now installed?

If it is 4.0.830, did you upgraded before changing disks? V4.0 is 48bitLBA capable, but not with all hardware.

Could be necessary to reinstall v3.4.805 but I have no info if anybody has tried to downgrade to v3.4 with success.

Marco
I was away for a bit, but did try the jumper positions before I saw this post. There was no difference in behavior (Snap still saw it as < 137 GB) with either CS or M/S. I went through the routine of setting the drives to 32 GB, but I'm really not convinced that does anything.

I upgraded to 4.0.830 after trying the drives a few different times with no success. I would say that I probably did not understand the entire process as much as I do currently (And that is to say, I need the Snap to recognize the drives as being capable of doing LBA 48 Bit and therefore breaking the 137 GB barrier). I'm not in front of it now, but when ever I issue the ~IDElba48bit~ command with "get", it always reports 0. With "reset", it says "command completed without errors". I'm fairly convinced it must be a combination of hardware version and bios version that is making this endeavor fail. My searching of the Snap site and this forum suggest that there is no way to change either in the 4000.

I'm thinking of trying to find some 120 GB drives and just saving the 300 GB drives for something else.
packetsdontlie is offline   Reply With Quote