View Single Post
Unread 12-05-2006, 02:22 AM   #40
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: SNAP 4000 Power Supplies

Well, it is a little late for dandrews, but I just got informed by Northwest Tech they have now released a direct replacement power supply.

http://www.northwesttechnical.com/in...oducts_id=1190

I looked it over real close, and I am a qualified electronics technician, and it looks like a decent setup to me. I read over the installation instructions and it does look like the average joe could do this replacement pretty easy, which is the real issue.

There are no OEM replacement power supplies available, and I have looked high and low.

Power supply repair can cost you more than the whole unit is worth.

I looked at other replacement open frame dual voltage power supplies, but they are very expensive (for the ones that will work) and still require some soldering and mounting modifications (no easy task).

I have myself done an ATX/AT power supply conversion (and told dandrews how to do it here), but this requires plenty of soldering, cutting and hacking of the power supply case, and is a pain in the arse to mount. It is NOT and easy task and is NOT for the unqualified.

The bottom line here is, if you are not qualified to do the ATX/AT mod, or get someone like me who is qualified to do it for you, then this is really the only option you have left that I am aware of. It might seem expensive, I know it is a lot of money to me at least, but if you look at what Adaptec charges for SNAP Server parts, or compare to other direct replacement options, it is not so expensive at all.

There you go. Don't say I never told you about it, and kept the information to myself.

And No, I do not work for Northwest Tech (they are at least 300 miles away from me), nor have I been paid to "advertise" their products as some have accused before. I am just another SNAP user trying to pass on information available to me for you to use as you will. Given the difficulties with having a bad SNAP 4000 power supply, this could be a salvation for someone.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote