View Single Post
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #36
rickmann08
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Crash!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
Now back to the problem;

I stay clear of the Snap OS unit conversations for the most part. I have done a lot of work on the 1000, 4100, and 4000, but as David pointed out, I have never had any of the 2000, 2200, or 12000. And, this was all quite a while back. I have forgotten most of the little idiosyncrasies of these units to be honest.

Now, with that said;

As I said before, most, 98%, of all intermittent problems in electronic devices comes down to power, heat, and timing issues. This only goes to show further as you notice most people in this message thread, including myself, are circling around those exact type problems here. BUT! Keep in mind though, there is another 2% out there.

One of the multitude of reasons I switched away from the SnapOS units to the GOS units was because of the way they handle the drives. Meaning, timing issues, errors, the RAID arrays, recovery, etc etc etc...

Now why did I bring this up? Well, I got to thinking, there is a drive recovery going on here, right? What if?

What if one of the drives is having a timing issue, or an error, or...? Again, the old SnapOS is not real great at handling these type things. It might just cause/force it to go back and do some type of recovery over and over. This could lead to what you are seeing. This also can lead to either or both of overheating and/or power issues since the recovery causes higher use of power and more heat.

Just a thought. That, and since Douglas (snap-tech) does recovery service, makes me think he knows some little idiosyncrasy in this unit that causes this type thng.

Now with that said;

Capacitors and other components do age, and through leakage and other things, start using more power over time. That and the power supplies themselves age. Thus the power suggestions put forth here are still valid.

Lastly, let me put forth one more solution that I am sure is going to go over like a lead balloon.

If you watch on eBay, you can get a GOS Snap unit for pretty cheap these days. Considering the superiority of these units over the SnapOS units, and the cost it may invlove fixing this unit. Maybe consider replacing the unit with a GOS Snap Unit from eBay?
Thanks for the info Pheonix! Yeah I am wondering if it is a power issue. It only started doing this a few months ago and never did it before? Which is why I was wondering if it was a power issue or maybe not getting enough power to it? I had it plugged in to a my UPS but with 2 other computers. So I went out and bought another UPS to see if maybe that was the issue but I have no way of testing it. Of course I would like to fix it but not if its going to cost me a fortune!! I will also check ebay.... that were I got this one

I reformatted the drives yesterday and when I get in later today I will post the log report that I have after I checked it for errors. I received a lot of System yellow flags!!

Thanks everyone for helping fix my issue!!
rickmann08 is offline   Reply With Quote