View Single Post
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Ben's Hackintosh Build in a G5 PowerMac Case... (Need some input on hardware)

Well, got a pretty sweet deal on a G5. Machine looked great on the outside and even passed the diagnostics but after a good deal of tinkering and research I've pretty much found that it would need a new logic board to be able to get an OS on it. That would run me a couple hundred, IMO not worth it to fix a non intel powermac.

So, I'm already working on a couple things, I'm going to try and keep the two metal dividers in and also use a mATX board as to not have to add a new motherboard tray / back pannel.

About to start soldering up the lil front panel cable for firewire, usb, audio and the power button / led.

Have a gutted PSU that will fit in the bottom bay, going to wire up a plug to plug into the G5's wire set for the two HDDs and DVD drive.

Need to wire up all the fans for either PWM off the motherboard, or hard wired quiet but sufficient.

For cooling, I'm thinking an apogee drive (the pump / block combo) and a single rad or heater core at the front of the case to work into the already excellent air flow design. After all, the original beast that was in this enclosure was water cooled!

So... if anybody can help me with the hackintosh goodies it would be much appreciated. Una, if you know some good mATX boards for the task... or anybody else.

Goals for the board:
8 GB or higher RAM limit
mATX
firewire header on the board (not required) unless I can find a PCI FW card with an internal header.
will do a retail install and be perfectly working with minimal patching
will run snow leopard and work on auto updates