View Single Post
Unread 02-13-2002, 09:30 PM   #93
Mr Evil
Cooling Neophyte

That is indeed a very thorough review, but I would like to make a couple of comments and suggestions:

I agree with newbie that temperature-delta is the most important figure, but it should really be the difference between core temp. and water intake temp, as this eliminates every part of the cooling system except the waterblock itself. Personally I would then prefer it if this where then divided by heat output and displayed as thermal resistance in C/W as this is a standard measurement of cooler performance.

I also agree with newbie that maximum temperatures are the important ones, as it is maximum temperature that determines the maximum stable core speed. It doesn't how fast or slow the temperature changes.

An additional calculation that could be done (not that you would want to do any more, having seen how much work you put into this!) is to work out how much heat, in Watts, is being transfered through the waterblock. This can be calculated from the temperature difference between water entering and leaving the block and the flow rate, and knowing the specific heat capacity and density of water. This would be useful because it would show how much heat is not going through the block (i.e. is lost through the underside of the CPU).
Mr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote