View Single Post
Unread 03-26-2004, 06:32 PM   #21
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Pureh20:
nice work, like the polished copper, im thinking of doing what you did but on the tops, can you think of any problems in doing this as my drive doesnt have any holes for expanding heat (seagate barracude 7200.7 plus, 8mb cache)?
I tried doing the top plate number with 1/8" plate, and 3/8" OD copper tubing, I actually made several, some with a plate on each side and the tube in the center, and some with the plate just on one side. My idea was to stack a bunch of drives with alternating plates, so that each drive would be cooled top and bottom. I had a total of 4 passes of tubing, starting at one end corner, go to the other, U-turn, come back to the first end, U-turn, go back, make a 3rd U-turn, and come out the same end as I started, but on the opposite edge.

Great in theory, not so great in practice. Despite using a tubing bender initially, then trying a custom die, I found that it was next to impossible to bend the tube tightly enough without kinking and distorting it. The end result is a set of blocks that look OK, but have highly restrictive flows, on the order of 1-2 LPM Since drives don't put out much heat, this will probably be OK, but I would have liked to have done better.

I can't reccomend the technique the way I did it. Perhaps if one used a simpler curve (only one U-turn with a larger radius?) and / or larger tube (which has it's own problems) it would work better, but I think Lolito's design is better since he can use larger tubes with less problem, and his design avoids the bending and kinking that I had.

Gooserider