View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Where to download SNAP Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor View Post
But they(nobody) makes these power supply replacements except for one place , BUT that is a modified replacement of the existing one. So, you are still stuck with the same power supply problem.
That statement is flat out total bull crap! I have set up at least 10 x Snap 4000 with 4 x 250 GB drives and DIFFERENT power supply, not a reworked/modified original, and worked great. AND, several other people who are (or used to be) on this forum have done the same.

Bluntly, I am a bit offended at your statement making it sound as if it hadn't been done or couldn't be done.

I do not involve myself much anymore in the goings on with the Snap OS units here on the forum, thus I ignore your routine (read: frequent) erroneous technical information, but this one was flat out bad advice and bold face BS. I point this out so that maybe in the future, you think before you speak, verify your information, or as a minimum people listen to David instead and take your "advice" with a grain of salt for their own good.

David can, and I am sure will, verify this message as fact.

To Harry.Butts,

The Snap 4100 hardware AND earlier versions of the Snap OS have a limit of 137 GB per drive interface. The Snap 4000 does not have this hardware limitation and can use larger drives if you have a more recent Snap OS revision. The limitations then become the power supply capability and/or a 1 TB for total capacity on any logical drive (i.e. single drive or RAID array) due to the base OS the Snap OS is written from.

You could use a single 1 TB drive if you wanted to, or a pair of 500 GB drives. The stock power supply must be replaced for a higher 12V output current if you want to use more than 2 modern drives over a single platter due to spin up power requirements of those drives. And contrary to the previous post, CAN and HAS BEEN done.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote