View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2003, 01:32 PM   #420
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by SysCrusher
Ben, I'd drop the fin height to 4mm too.
I don't think anymore than 4 is needed, because I've seen the thermals but why do you think so?

Quote:
Also, think of your inlet as if it was 4 separate nozzles. With your hose barb sitting almost on top of the center crossed fins, it's basically 4 nozzles in one. With my calculations and experimenting, though I'm no pro at either, roughly a 4 - 5 mm opening for a round nozzle is best. That is what I found but that is for a round nozzle where your's is a triangle with a rounded bottom. I suck at geometry so calculating that area is beyond me. You could make your inlet square to meet a round hole for the barb. An idea that may be easy?
Well, what concerns me is to make sure that the jet isn't going to be sucked out to the side/outlet. As it stands, the opening (of a quarter of the area) is 3.25mm by 1 (or equivalent), and the outlet is 5mm by 1mm, twice. That means that my inlet is much smaller than the outlet, so the jet should work fine, even if I drop the height to 4mm.

But I have to revise the thermal before I make that decision.

The jet has to hit the baseplate, but I'm kinda hoping that it'll pickup some heat from the center fin too.

From the original flow analysis, only the bottom 1mm is moving at any significant speed: that bothers me, a bit.

As for the square inlet, it would only make the calculations simpler Otherwise, I am indeed considering it as 4 nozzles.

If 4-5 mm round nozzle is best, what pump would that be for?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote