View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #10
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Thanks Dave, It's nice to hear from you again!

The dimension stated (.0226" (0.57 mm)), is the ID of the tubing that is used in the CPU backside cooler. It's a set of very small tubes that run under the CPU. There's a plastic tube that runs between the pins, and a copper tube that's thermally epoxied to the backside.

I figure that filtering for 1/4 of that dimension should keep those tubes clear, so I go from 0.57mm (aka 570 microns) down to ~150 microns.

N8 mentionned that these (CPU backside cooler) tubes would probably clog over time, from various deposits. Personally, knowing that my loop would be closed, I don't expect any new particles to appear. However... I can't say for sure if the coolant flow would eventually start flaking things off, or if any corrosion (copper,brass and solder only) would add any particulates. In other words, no, I don't expect a steady load of particles.

Also, if there are any deposits, I would expect them to appear in the "tanks" to the CPU backside cooler: a 1/2" PVC extension (aka manifold). That's a project that I'm still not sure I want to go ahead and execute, so the filtering is otherwise for the "Cascade" style block, which uses an array of small openings (~1mm ?).

So off hand, I'm more interested in one time filtering: i.e. filter the water, then remove the filter to let it run. If I don't go with the backside cooler, I'd consider leaving a 250 micron mesh filter in, but I don't see the purpose: all I'm putting in the coolant, is distilled water (a new gallon), and a corrosion inhibitor (Silkolene ProCCA, which is 50% mineral oil, mixed at 1%). I might add windshield wiper fluid, when I get close to building the #Rotor chiller.

I like the backwash idea, and I'd implement it, if I had room for it! I'll have to backwash it externally, that's all.:shrug:

Thanks again Dave! BTW, is there such a thing as a filter element that's in the form of a sheet, and rolled slowly, so it's continously "fresh"? Just curious.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote