View Single Post
Unread 01-11-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by hara
The difference to cathar's design is that as the distance from the cpu core gets larger, the base gets thicker, aiding in better conductivity. Here, the are above the core is cooled by a microchannel which extends deep into the copper.
Base gets thicker? I am not to sure but it seems to me the thicker the material the harder it is to extract the heat, and the denser the material the worse it gets. Copper being pretty dense the thicker you make it the harder it will be to get heat out of the thicker areas. I do not know if there is any real scientific logic to back that up, but that is how I visulize it in my head. Maybe someone that does know can shead some light on that.

And you do not want it to thin either, because if there is not enough material to absorb the heat and transfer it to the coolant that is also bad. And you want enough material to keep the thing from breaking under the 20lbs or so amount of pressure that is recommended from AMD on that little core. Where these points are is trivial to the design as I am sure you know.

Good Luck, I hope you can find someone capable of milling that.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote