View Single Post
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:47 AM   #25
N8
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by koslov
Just felt compelled to ask: Why are you measuring CPU flatness if lapping them will kill them anyway? Or is this just an experiment to add to the "good to know but not necessarily practical knowledge" database?
Lapping your processor will not always kill them. You are more likely to kill it with a bare AMD core as compared to a P4 with the IHS (integrated heat spreader.)

When I first got my P4 1.8a last May, it had a HUGE bulge in the IHS. This was even after running it for a while with the tremendous pressure of the also bulging stock P4 heatsink. They were basically only touching each other in the center of the IHS.

I lapped and polished the P4 IHS to flatten it out. Here is a pic where you can see that I had lapped a LOT of the IHS off down into copper, but only in the center. I had to remove a lot of material to get this thing flat.

Not only did I not kill the cpu, but it runs at 2600 MHz on air with a somewhat quiet 80mm fan (MCX4000 heatsink), 39-40 degrees C at 1.65v. Pretty good for one of the earlier 1.8a's.

I do plan on removing the IHS completely in the future to see what kind of temp difference it makes.

N8 is offline   Reply With Quote