View Single Post
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
arkon
Cooling Neophyte

Re: First w/c setup - Please help!

Thanks pdf27! Just checked back on this forum to see your reply.

I've been waiting for the (fail?) release of the GTX480 to start my build. Here we go... I'll post a build log on this and Xtreme fora to let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your reply - I've decided to go for 1/2" ID tubing, but using BitsPower compression fittings everywhere (instead of barbs + jubilee clamps) - I reckon that'll be a winner.

I've also been thinking about Quick Release Disconnects (especially the Koolance VL3N no drip ones - see Skinnee labs article on the topic: http://skinneelabs.com/qdc.html). Seems like they'll be useful to enable easy swapping out of components in the future without having to drain a loop. Just need to figure out the best placement of them based on my planned new system config:

- Silverstone TJ07 case (being sent to Tom@ChilledPC for black powdercoating the internals of the case, and doing a triple-rad roof mod). Lead time ~ 3 weeks (he's just moved premises). I still prefer the aesthetics of this case - not sure about the 80's look of the Fortress and Raven ones...
- Two separate loops (CPU and GPU) using XSPC dual-bay dual loop Liang DDC Ultra restop (separated chambers for the loops with integrated pumps).
- 1/2" ID tubing with compression fittings (probably BitsPower). Possibly QRDs. Not sure if I should go for Tygon with UV dye in the water, or UV reactive tubing. Can you put UV dye AND biocide in to the water?
- CPU loop to use a triple rad in the top of the case: Black Ice GT Stealth 360, with 3 x Xigmateks 1800rpm fans in pull (only 20db and ~60CFM!).
- CPU waterblock: Swiftech Apogee XT Rev 2
- GPU loop to use a quad rad in the bottom side of the case (the other side of the PSU): XSPC RX480 Quad with 4 x Xigmateks (1800rpm again) in pull.
- GPU block - might see what the EVGA water cooled GTX480 is like... don't fancy putting my own block on... maybe another day.
- Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme (not out yet...)
- CPU: Intel 980X hexacore (I've been saving for this build for 5 years OK?)
- GFX: GTX480, probably w/c EVGA one (I know it doesn't stack up quite against the ATI dual-gpu card, but I want to use CUDA and OpenCL etc.)
- Memory: 12GB kit Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 (1600) CAS 8-8-8-24 2T
- OS HDD: Intel SSD G2 160GB (considering RAID 0'ing two 80GB drives instead for this... sick speeds but no TRIM support...)
- Data HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (really silly - drive cannot max out SATA 3Gb/s, but got it for the 64MB of cache on this drive). Again, possibly have two of these in RAID1 - but I have a slow NAS solution (100Mb/s ethernet) for backups, so not sure.
- PSU: Silverstone Strider 1500W 80Plus Silver.
- Fan/temp controller: Not sure yet. Looking at the NZXT dual-bay one, or the single bay touchscreen one. I would like to be able to monitor/control the pumps as well - if they have fan connectors, is this for rpm monitoring AND control, or just monitoring? Any suggestions for controllers welcome...

Based on these components (I think a lot of the internals, like the rads, are brass/copper) do you think there will be a problem with galvanic corrosion? I know that putting Aluminium into the mix is a bad idea - don't think any of the above use that material though...

Still got to worry about sleeving and all that gubbins, but am closing in on the final main components.

Let me know what you think...

4rkon

Last edited by arkon; 05-04-2010 at 07:03 AM.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote