View Single Post
Unread 02-18-2003, 08:34 PM   #11
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar
Maybe I poorly phrased myself and that's what you're jumping on.

I'm well aware of peltier efficiency with respect to voltage. I really should have said "half-voltage", not "half-capacity". Before jumping on me, if you read through my post again, you'll notice that I said I'd be aiming to 120W of heat moving power per element, rather than 80W. I never thought for a moment that if I doubled the voltage/power than I'd achieve double the heat-moving potential.
Glad you know what you are talking about. And you know that doubling the voltage is roughly equivalent to quadrupling the power consumption?

I've spent a lot of time fighting the myth that TEC's are most efficient at 75% to 80% of Vmax.

It's true that if you have the typical CPU/Coldplate/TEC/WB stack, and a good radiator and fan, 75% to 80% will get you the best cooling. It's hard to imagine any sense of the word in which this is 'efficient' though.

When you start talking water chillers, multiple high Qmax TEC's at low voltage is definitely the way to go. (At least for those of us who pay our own electric bills.)

I like your plan. Very similar to what I'm also (very slowly) working on.

Most effective way to get the heat off the die - White Water.

Once the heat is in the water, it can be applied to a large surface area where multiple TEC's can be used relatively efficiently.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote