View Single Post
Unread 01-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #39
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
Brad,

I coiuld give a rats ass what other people think about Joes testing. I have done my testing, jay has done his....... and well, I dont like machining copper. Its a pain in the ass. Aluminum is much more suited for this work. I may stop the copper blocks all together. Who knows.

Btw Jay, I am happy to see that some of my advice worked for you, its all about helping each other. Now lets see some pics of your mill setup. Btw, the watercooling your spindle moter, That is a good idea, HEHEHE I have my aircompressor cylender watercooled. Keeps the condensation down in the tank. Great minds............ followed by something else.....

Jood work, Btw is the rubber seal holding up?
I havn't even had a chance to get the rubber yet. What I did was use the industrial Silicone we use at work and it kicks ass!!! Not a drop of water leaking in 4 days now!!! Temps are still good aswell. It will not be my final answer but it sure works good in a pinch.

As for the mill I still have yet to get to it. I am going to wrap the motor with hose and run water through it. I have a Heater core and a 500GPH pump all waiting.

I started work again today(my full time job) and am just out of time. I have been moving around and welding 100's of pounds of steel all day and am just wore out by the time I get home. This weekend I am going to try and mill out what stock I have left and get the water cooler for the mill put together so when I have a free day I can mess with stuff. I have 13pcs. of Copper cut to length I need to do something with. I shutter at the though of milling it though. I think I am going to do a basic double channel on them and get rid of them ASAP.

I need to find a place on-line that sells that rubber as the place I was going to get it localy is closes the same time I get off work and is not open on weekends. Thats the only place in town that sells the stuff to. I am pretty certain it will work well though. I may even coat the rubber with that silicone aswell. That Silicone is dirt cheap being I can get it free from work. One tube will do 100 blocks.

Here is a pic of my mill anyway right from the site I bought it at. Once I get the water cooler on I will post some more pics.

http://www.acumotion.com/mill.htm

I got the 5400 model.

Also note that is the plain mill, I got the CNC conversion for it and it is VERY tight for a conversion!!! Hardly any slop at all.

Last edited by jaydee116; 01-21-2002 at 07:41 PM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote