View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
DDogg
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Hacker
are you sure that the ground stays that cool during 90+ degree days. i dont really know. but you will most likley get condensation here because the humidity is uaually 50% +
My understanding is that 3 feet down the soil temp is fairly constant. We don't have to worry about a frost line so it might be doable. My PC is located such that it lends itself to doing it in a neat, clean way that would not be unsightly. Putting copper through the brick could cause serious domestic problems though. Have to think on it some more and weigh the risk/reward Presently I don't know how to calculate the length of copper required to exchange 200 watts with a 21 C thermal sink. Never was too good at that stuff.

As for condensation, I'm just guessing from looking at the weather maps, but I would think the humidity in my computer room would never be so high as to cause condensation with 8-10 below ambient room temp. I may be wrong.

While a tec block like the swiftech would be my simplest and affordable solution, I am realizing that it may be too difficult to control so as to not have condensation. Seems like my only solution is to chill the water somehow, or using a ground loop. I would prefer to get some of this heat out of the room and the ground loop would do that. My kid's, and my wife's computers are also in here so you can imagine how much heat gets dumped in here.

I know Swiftech makes that big monster twin TEC external block, but I also think I remember it takes 40 or 50 amps. That's over the top. Heck, I just need 8-10 C lower inlet temps. Seems like there ought to be a way that was not too expensive to buy or operate.

I expect I have a lot to learn and a rude awakening in store for me.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote