View Single Post
Unread 07-15-2003, 09:27 PM   #19
V12|V12
Cooling Savant

Wow, I love all the responses... I dunno, for some people, designing a working Res, and Airtrap come easy, but I'm talking about ALL-IN-ONE. Like Turbo's... It's not as easy as it seems, because a Res AND an Airtrap have 2 diff functions and the way the water flows in them is very different, IF you want effectiveness.

IE: Resevior's function is to have extra water for the system loop, not to trap air, but it does in a small way, b/c water HAS to flow through it and at least a small amount will release the micro-bubbles. (Really general statement)

AirTRAP, alone, does 1 thing well, trap the most possible amount of incoming air in the water, while letting more non-air saturated pass. The problem is, if you don't have a set/certain pre-existing amount of water in it, it won't do it's job very effectively... and in most cases I have experimented with, it will create MORE airbubbles than you originally started with!

Another VERY IMPORTANT factor I've found is inlet and outlet placement. This factor can make or BREAK your chances of having a nice combination of the 2.

---For a Res, usually it can be a larger container on top of a "T"-splitter, since all you want is extra water to be availible.

--For an Airtrap, like BigBen's, you just need the inlet outlet to be as far away as possible from the outlet in order to avoid bubbles getting sucked back down and "mulched" up even more!

--For BOTH, it gets tricky sorta like turbo's takes a good hour, which ain't bad, but for some of us, like myself, UUUGH! I want to SEE the bubble clear up in like 10miN, lol! But that's NOT going to happen unless you've got a HUGE res! Take BigBen's idea and on the outlet side, make the tube say 3.5Wx3.5" going to the pump, and then you'd have BOTH and wit would be very effective! But I have very limited space. Also, if you want to have BOTH and don't want the largeness factor, you'll just have to sacrifice with some flow restriction and TIME it takes to clear the system, but most people have ~300GPH pumps, so a few bends here and there are not going to kill your flowates.
I'm NO expert at this, and I could be incorrect, but this is just some of the stuff I have noticed in the trials of building the optimal Res/Air-Trap... I'm going to MS-Paint up a few ideas I just got and post soon... thanks all!
--1/2" Vinyl tubes
--Via1300-Stealth Mod(QUIET!)
---Home made copper-tube block
---PVC small internal res
V12|V12 is offline   Reply With Quote