View Single Post
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #16
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: Ubuntu Linux Review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians256
I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on an old laptop and it worked fairly well, but suspend and hibernate were not well implemented. I felt almost the same way as I did about Vista when I installed it: the windows wobble when they move, ooh, ah! Other than the bling factor, I wasn't terribly impressed as to how it performed versus XP. I think it was slower to boot than XP, too, although that might be an illusion since XP allows you to login before it's really done loading stuff.
I had the windows wobble issue for a bit. Installed different vid drivers it seemed to take care of it. I find it loads about the same as XP. Was expecting it to be faster though. I don't see any performance increases in what games I can get working in Linux either.
If you have Windows XP just as well use it. No point using Linux otherwise. I just loaded it for the lack of another copy of XP. Defiantly a good alternative if you don't need a lot of Windows specific software. As for an average end user OS though Windows is still much better.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote