View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #54
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
the die temp is a fiction
Dunno about anyone else, but i couldnt give a flying **** at a rolling donut what the IHS temperature is...

The final goal of a watercooling system is to make the die as cool as possible for overclocking. Otherwise, its just for silence (in which case, who cares what the temperature is, so long as its stable - and the waterblock does not effect the noiselevel significantly.

Why do we ignore the die temp? jesus, this seems like backpedalling to make a product seem 'better' than it is... independant tests will show this either way, i guess? Change the test bed so you like what you see? Think i might move house and avoid gravity, i always wanted to use my ceiling!

Isnt 'lowest possible die temperature wrt waterblock design' what we're all after?
I mean, i personally dont care - and wouldnt pay good money for an extra 0.5 degrees, because realistically at the end of the day, it doesnt matter, and its probably not going to effect your overclock a noticable amount... but surely being true to the science of it is actually worth doing?

In my (very) humble opinion, why not machine a single piece die with an integrated IHS, estimate the TIM joint between the two (ie, solid piece of copper, which is both the die and the IHS) and go from there? It would simulate the actual heat spread, allow the die temp to be tested... i dont see the down side.

Last edited by Etacovda; 11-19-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote