View Single Post
Unread 01-02-2003, 08:59 AM   #333
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Thanks bigben for the quick summary. You still didn't directly answer my question but I think that is because you are not sure yet either. Glad you are making progress on this. It will be very interesting to see how it comes out.

Ok, I must have missed your question... but I do that often!

I don't know exactly how much heat is added, but it can be calculated as a function of flow rate and pressure drop. In any case, it's not significant (I'm sure). I might take the time to try to calculate it, if it's of interest to anyone.

As for cooling below ambient (and a rad), that's part of phase 1. I do expect a drop in flow rate, with a rad, but that's ok. In phase 2 and 3, I'll add a Pelt, and a chiller (a la #rotor), which will eventually do away with the rad, restoring full flow.

So talking about phase 1 only... the temp will depend a lot on the air flow rate through the rad/heatercore (as you pointed out). The block will have to be tested with different baseplate thickness, to find the optimal one, but since I'm nowhere near having a proper test facility, I'll either "wing it" or send it out for testing. Either way, there will be a performance inprovement over "more conventional" setups, but as BillA pointed out himself, the benefits of running a 4 gpm rig enter an area where the cost/benefit ratio isn't wise. In other words, it might be 1 or 2 degree cooler than most blocks.

All in all, I don't expect to beat White Water, but I think that if any design could, it would have to be something awfully similar to this. If I could tweak out the water entrance point issues, it should beat Cathar's White Water, but I don't have enough expertise to do that.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote