View Single Post
Unread 05-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #169
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Does the heat that the Lian D4 puts into the water justify its noise, and lifespan over the iwaki? Also, which Iwaki model would you reccomend?
Noise is a subjective thing. I can't factually state what is annoying to me will be annoying to someone else. A moderate assessment of the D4's noise based on more experiences than just my own is that it whines, the pitch of the whine is annoying, but the volume is not so loud that it cannot be managed, or that if there are sufficient sources of other types of noise in the case that its noise will just become lost in the cacophany. People who are noise sensitive will hate it. People who accept high-speed fans as part of everyday life will hardly notice it. For myself it's a case of the noise always being noticable without specifically having to listen for it, but due to sticking the pumps in a 1/2" thick MDF box, the volume is tolerable. I can't be any more specific than that - noise is a subjective perception.

Which Iwaki model? If you live in a 50Hz power country, the MD20-RZ seems the best fit. If you live in a 60Hz power country, then the MD15-R for a moderate one-size-fits-all type of pump, or the MD20-R for low-moderate restriction setups, or the MD20-RZ for moderate-high restriction setups.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote