View Single Post
Unread 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
dht_99
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Very Ambitious Extreme Cooling loop, promise pictures as i build!

Evening all, nice setup your going to run there. Im fairly new to the world of custom setups but ive got 8 years of race engine building experience behind me so shifting heat quicklys what i do.

When i built a setup for few mates of mine (and the same system im building now) i was appaled at the amount of money people were spending to get was is quite ineffective cooling.
First off how vital is it to you that everything is contained inside the case? on all the builds ive done ive always insisted on a rad outside of the case. Its completely illogical to take heat away from a system only to have the fan blow the heat from the rad straight back over the areas youve just cooled and raise the ambient temperature again. Youl never be able to cool every nook and cranny but drop the ambient temps and you find everything runs a whole lot smoother. my setups have all had external rad boxes with 2 rads mounted at 45degs one above the other so they form a point with the fans sucking through into the v. Its the most efficient way to cool them without having them laying flat with the fans sucking up through them but that takes up more space.
We also used ally 'tunnels' around the mobo to completely seal it in in its own air venturi to get as much air speed as possible over the board and keep the noise of the suck and the blow fan in.
one of the setups was used heavily for long hours every day so to keep it even cooler the fans and rad blowers were ducted down through the ceilings fromt he roof eaves and through a drypack filter very cool if the misses will let you get away with it!
The other advantage of an enclosed ducted system is you can get huge airspeeds and efficient cooling without any of the noise and with far less power, if i had to design something to stop laminair flow it would be the inside of a computer case
And finally the most important point in any fan cooled system (and most bedroom activities hehe) SUCK dont blow. without going into the physics of it a vacuum will even its self out around objects in its way with minimal hassle, a pressured air wave like that from a fan will hit stuff and bounce off all over the place destroying the airflow. Straight smooth airflow is fat and fast airflow cools.

hope that can help some people with the basics of a good system, after all a poor design with a big rad and loads of fans is a lot noisier and more complicated than a good system with few components. And my apologies to anyone that this is below but ive seen some of the systems used by people and hopefully that can out them back on the right track
dht_99 is offline   Reply With Quote