View Single Post
Unread 07-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #238
Cathar
Thermophile

Crap - I couldn't sleep. I was lying there thinking why does this irk me so much, and I figured it out.

This whole "German vs US" thing. The pro-German's point at WaterCoolPlanet as if to prove that somehow the "US style" blocks are all under-performing in comparison. Every "US-style" block that's there is a fair way behind the leading German blocks.

The US-style proponents point out that due to the WCP testbed's use of the very weak Eheim 1046, the small-ID tubing, and a very restrictive coiled-tubing radiator, that the flow rates are so low as to be totally out of spec with the intent of the design of the "US-style" blocks.

Now along comes a proposed "German" vs "US" bakeoff. Problem is that now the rest of the "German" system (aside from the block) is something that would now be totally "within spec" for a US-style block, being most everything that a US-style system calls for - being a strong pump (roughly a Mag 3 equivalent) and a large unrestrictive heater-core style radiator.

So I wonder.

Why is it that US-style blocks get tested (and bested) on a German testbed that apparantly epitomises everything that we are always being told is "German" when it comes to a water-cooling testbed, yet when it comes to a square off for the apparantly dichotic philosophies, that the "German" system that gets proposed is one that the US blocks would be quite happy to be run with, and certainly one that would show most of the US blocks in a far better light if it formed the basis of the WCP testbed?

i.e. it's the anomalies between what gets presented as a "German" system when it comes to ranking waterblocks that everyone points at vs what is being sent that is nothing like what gets used to rank waterblocks in Germany.

So which is it? What is a German setup? It certainly does not appear to be anything like what was explained in the opening thread, nor does it appear to be anything like what is upheld as the be-all/end-all of German waterblock test-beds.

There, I think that's what has been bugging me all day. Now maybe I'll get some sleep.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote