View Single Post
Unread 09-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #31
sradair
Cooling Neophyte

Re: Guardian OS units

Got 2 4400's running Guardian OS 4.2.054 SP3

One still has the original 120gb IBM hard drives in a RAID-5 configuration.

The other had 2 bad 120gb drives, so I picked up 4 new Seagate 400gb, 7200rpm, 16mb cache, ATA-100 drives for about $100 each and configured them as a 1.04 TB RAID-5 array. Nice for storing all that HD video content I record from TV via my DViCO FusionHDTV5 RT Gold ATSC HD TV tuner card.

I kept the 2 120gb drives from the one unit as spares for the other unit, but I ran all 6 drives thru a full Spinrite 6 scan and installed the best 4 of the 6 back in the 4400 before building it out as a general purpose file server for the whole family to use. Decided not to spend the money on new drives for this one at the moment. Probably gonna wait until I burn up 3 of the 120gb drives and my degraded RAID-5 is hanging by a thread, then pick up 4 new drives in whatever capacity is going for a good price point at the time so I can make it the new, higher capacity multimedia server and turn the old video server into a general purpose file server.

I got these 2 units for a really smokin' deal. I probably shouldn't say how much because it might engender some real animosity and spawn a few hater posts.

Only downside is that the maintenance agreement with adaptec ran out shortly after upgrading to Guardian OS 4.2.054 SP3 and I can't really justify the cost of renewing it just to get OS updates, so it looks like 4.2.054 is where I stay.
sradair is offline   Reply With Quote