View Single Post
Unread 06-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Koolance's "how to test a radiator" demonstration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmkg
I understand that tests might be rigged. The only way anyone can satisfy me is to perform extensive, variable, idealistic and practical tests..
The issue is not that the tests are rigged, but that they are testing using automotive conditions (to generalize: very hot coolant, very cold air, very strong water pump (and high flow) and very strong blower (high pressure and high airflow).
PC cooling is the obverse of all these situations (generalizing again: not very hot coolant, not very cold air, not very strong pump, fairly weak axial fan (low-medium airflow, low pressure))
So... about all you can apply from these certified tests is, well, it didn't leak.

As a side issue, it wouldn't surprise me if koolance is right about all-aluminum radiators. However, it is their sales material and I can't help but wonder if the higher thermal resistance of copper-brass-copper is offset by better conductivity water->copper and along the copper fins themselves (so creating a larger effective heat transfer area).
IMHO, this is exactly the kind of thing that might work one way under automotive conditions and another way under PC cooling conditions.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote