View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
LPorc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox9
PS
In a previous thread LPorc hinted at the concept of hooking the cold side of the TEC to a radiator & blowing air through the radiator & some sort of condensed-water-catching arrangement, to both cool the case air and trap condensing water.

This idea potentially offers faster case cooling, if it could be implemented in a way that was as effective as a cold plate at producing/removing condensation.
Here's my thought from the other thread:

Move the air in the sealed case through a heat exchanger (not a radiator, BTW) where you can catch the condensates (liquids and solids that were formerly vapor before the case gasses were cooled).

I've got a few ghetto ideas for the Air-to-TEC heat exchanger. You could put an existing air heatsink (preferably pinned) on as the cold plate, or you could try going really ghetto by sandwiching some copper tubes between two copper sheets with one of the sheets being the cold plate.

After the air passes the Air-to-TEC hX, run it into a cylinder in a circle. Think kinda like a centrifuge, a bagless vacuum cleaner catch. Take a look at a bagless vacuum cleaner for inspiration. In from the side in a circular are flow, out throught the top center. Let gravity and airflow keep particulates (or condensates) away from the outlet. No bag or filter to possibly accumulate liquids and solids (or worse liquids that will become solids), just a space to catch them and keep the reasonably contained. Your case is sealed, so there shouldn't be a whole lot to catch.

For the truly ghetto effect, I see a coffee can and a dryer air hose for the catch.

And keeping with the ghetto theme, here's a ghetto MS Paint drawing with no explanation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghettoAir-to-TEC HX.JPG (19.1 KB, 41 views)
LPorc is offline   Reply With Quote