View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
muffy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Worlds most powerful D5/655 pump

Here is what I believe to be the world's first modded Swiftech 655 / Danger Den D5.

What I have done is change the wiring geometry of the pump from a 'Y' to a Delta configuration to increase power... I have also replaced the on-board speed controller with an RC plane brushless motor controller. This was needed because it is not limited to any RPM like the stock one. I then used a servo tester to control the RPM of the motor.

The result is taking my standard pump from a non-loaded 18 Watts to a non-loaded 80 watts at 12 Volts (it can run at a higher voltage). At this wattage it will blow the pressure fittings off my water blocks if they don’t have additional retention clamps. And obviously the thing kicks ass now!

For DIY people:

If you're thinking of doing something similar, read this excellent site on wiring configurations.
You’ll also need to know that the 655’s stator has four magnets, not five or three, which greatly affects the wiring configuration used.

The three white wires coming from the pump are used for monitoring the voltage of the pump. The rest of the wires soldered to the PCB are doubled up to reduce resistance so if you're trying to figure out my wiring, just stick to red or black.

Also, when selecting a RC brushless speed controller, it’s important that you buy one that has a very high frequency, e.g. 32 kHz, otherwise the pump will emit a high pitched noise when in operation.

MORE INFO HERE http://watercooling.co.nz/forums/viewforum.php?f=14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_PCB.jpg (28.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P_removed_back.jpg (43.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Pump_Close.jpg (41.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg pump_speed_servo.jpg (26.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Speed_servo.jpg (41.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by muffy; 08-01-2007 at 04:09 AM.
muffy is offline   Reply With Quote