View Single Post
Unread 08-17-2004, 09:16 PM   #51
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Mercury was once originally considered as a coolant for nuclear power plants. Upon extensive studies and tests, it was eventually decided that it was far too dangerous and toxic to use, and this is even for the fission nuclear energy crew. If these guys think it's too toxic and dangerous to consider using it while sitting atop a controlled nuclear explosion, the average home user has no real right to think that perhaps they know better.
Actually, the Soviets used a mercury-bismuth cooled reactor design in some of their submarines in I think the early 70's. The "advantage" was that since the moderator is so much denser, the overall reactor size shrinks, and you can use a much denser core. You get a higher reactor P/W ratio that way. As a matter of fact, the U used in all naval reactor fuel rods is supergrade...better than weapons grade in enrichment. Anyways, not only is it toxic, but the bismuth component is a pretty inert solid at room temp. In other words, you could never turn the reactor off or else the coolant would "freeze" in the reactor, and you would have basically a inert, unworkable toxic disaster. Commies do the weirdest things without fully thinking through the consequences! Just had to throw some useless trivia in here...sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
C'mon, you mean you guys haven't heard of The Darkness? Not that they're a fantastic band, but their songs seemed to be getting air-time even when I was in the USA a couple of months ago.

My singing voice makes baby Jesus cry. Milli Vanilli were bad, but even with their real voices they were far better singers than myself.
That's funny...my buddy got the album two days ago and I listen to it every day to work this week so far! I thought they were Brits...

Last edited by HAL-9000; 08-17-2004 at 09:30 PM.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote