View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
mx
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Final Peltier Setup, Suggestions Anyone?

I'm wondering if the list were written before ThermoChills PA series? If so the Thermochill 120.2/3 at pos 1 is a HE? Because I'd never compare a PA 120.2 or .3 with a BIX! The PA rads has the lowest FPI on the market and is therefore very suitable for weaker/quieter fans while BIX rads have a very high FPI and are suitable for stronger/louder fans. ThermoChills HE series however had a higher FPI and were more like the BIX. I wonder why they didn't include Swiftech, Cooltek nor Coolingworks rads in the list? It can't be that the list is too old because the GT is in there.

I don't think it's fair to write just one list with both high and low FPI rads. With strong fans high FPI rads would rank high and low FPI rads would be at the bottom, with weak fans it would be the the other way around. Low FPI rads at the top and high FPI rads at the bottom. This is how I would rank rads, based on guesstimating, my own and others experiences and FPI. It's a very non sientific ranking so please don't quote me on it!

Weak/silent fans
  1. ThermoChills PA series (especially PA160)
  2. Coolingworks
  3. Swiftechs MCR, Cooltek (Same rads except for the barbs?)
  4. BI GT
  5. BIP
Strong/loud fans
  1. Heatercores
  2. BIX, ThermoChills HE series
  3. BI GT
  4. Swiftechs MCR, Cooltek (Same rads except for the barbs?)
  5. BIP
  6. Coolingworks
Since there's a lot of variables to consider it's very hard to do a fair ranking in a simple list, you'd need plots of how each rad peforms with different air and water flows and temps, with or w/o shroud etc. Something like BillA's Assessment of Radiator Performance, too bad that many rads didn't exist back when he did the test.

I don't think there is a Swiftech MCP355? There were some speculations that if they were to release an 18w DDC it would be named MCP355. Kinda like how they named the D5 MCP655 because the D4 were named MCP650.

EDIT: Changed my rad ranking after ricecrispi's correction.

Last edited by mx; 07-26-2006 at 03:00 AM.
mx is offline   Reply With Quote