View Single Post
Unread 04-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

My R/C Addiction

So now that I made the post in my worklog about pH running the show now. Heres a glimpse into my world now

My R/C Addiction is something I almost had licked about 2 years ago, then last year this month, it reared its evil head. I own 5 R/C vehicles in working order, I had for a bit last month 3 Radio systems, (down to one now), and I think I have a boat still (haven’t seen it in nearly 2 years, I think its in a closet some where)

Heres the breakdown (for fellow R/C nuts):
(pics of everything are below)

Radio:
Futaba 3PK PCM/HRS/FM radio (300+$ rig)
This is the best radio and the most expensive radio I have ever used for R/C. (even more expensive than the plane radio I had when I had an R/C plane for a few months... yes the addiction runs deep)

Its a 3 Channel Radio with HRS capabilities (essentially uses a higher rate signal and give a more fine control of the servo's on the car) It has a 10 Model Memory and I have all my cars setup on it. One Radio to Rule them all so to say.

The Cars/Trucks/stuff:

My Precious: HPI RS4-3SS
For those that don’t know - its a shaft driven 1/10th scale AWD touring car.

Now I know many hard core racers laugh, and give this car shit (for being pretty much a consumer grade parking lot thrasher car... which it does very well). But there are few things made by HPI or in the stock kit still on the car. And there are NO parts from the original kit still on the car (I bought the kit 1 year ago... lots of hard racing between then and now hehe)

The car now is in full competition trim. I spent the money and time working on parts of the car that matter vs those that can wait. There has been more than 1, and nearing on 2K$ put into this car since last year. It has a racing engine on it that with the custom WolfPack Radicals 2 speed tranny should move the car into the mid 60's (Mph and in under a couple seconds) with torque and RPM's to spare ( I need a balance of top speed and power still). The chassis is also a work of wolfgang's shop. The 2 speed uses special metals designed by Sikorsky for use as wear parts on heli rotors.

All 4 corners are driven via MIP CVD's, and all suspension hardware is graphite. The Shocks are plastic bodies (no need for the 40$ metal ones... a purely Bling upgrade), with MIP Ti-Ni. coated shafts with HPI Teflon pistons and Trinity silicone oil, Using HPI Linear springs.

The radio hardware is : Futaba HRS 3 Chan Receiver, Throttle Servo: HiTec HS-5475HB Digital (Resin Gear heavy duty), Steering Servo: HiTec HS-5925MG High Speed (.08sec throw time) High Torque metal gear Digital Servo (nearly 90$ Servo). Powered by a 1100mAh NiMH flat 5 cell 6v pack. The Green thing on the car is the engine temp sensor, helps with tuning the engine on the fly.

Notes: Everything possible has been lowered to lower the CG of the car. the entire driveline was dropped 3mm making power delivery more efficient and also lowering CG a good bit. The radio deck keeps the heavy servos and batteries on the chassis also. I am going to be replacing most of the screws on the car with Aluminum/Titanium/Stainless hex screws soon.

The Off-road Monster - Ofna Hyper7 Pro:
I just recently got this car. This is my 3rd 1/8th scale off road buggy. Sold the first one nearly 3 years ago, and pretty much destroyed my last one last year.

For those that dont know: Its a 1/.8th scale, 4WD, 3 Diff (center Torsen, fron/rear LSD), high speed machine.

ALl drive line items are CVD based so there is little lash in the drive train. It has front and rear sway bars, adjustable front/rear brakes (2 rotors per side), and CNC aluminum chassis stiffeners. Its got a used and semi abused OS .21 RZ-V99B plant which new cranks 2.45Hp at 40k RPM.

I haven’t done much more than test it out, and crash it once (the entire front end has been rebuild last week after loosing the radio gear and it flying into a curb in a short engine test... that resulted in ~ 100$ in damage).

Radio Gear: (new since last week after the last stuff failed on me)- Futaba PCM1024 Receiver with FailSafe, Throttle Servo: HiTec 645MG high torque Servo, and HiTec 925MG High Speed Steering Servo powered by a 1100mAh 5 cell flat 6v pack.

Its good stuff, just expensive to fix when you break it

My Winter Fun: Losi XXX-T
This is a 1/0th scale Electric Stadium truck that I run indoors on a carpet "off-road" course. It has a Novak Brushless SS5800 plant in it which makes it move and take off faster off the line than any Nitro car I have ever owned. The Motor/Speedcontrol cost on their own ~ 200 - 250$.

The chassis is all Graphite including all suspension parts. It has an aluminum rear A Arm mount and rear hubs. All titanium links on the suspension, and all titanium ball studs for the ball caps to mount to. The truck is light and nimble, but I suck at driving it Just a fun way to burn more money over the winter months.

Radio Gear: None currently - all removed for the other cars.

Other R/C things:
Kyosho Nitro Blizard: its a 1/10th scale nitro powered snow cat I had it prepped to run this winter but never took it out
Associated RC10GT : Its a nitro powered Stadium truck. I may get it out on the track this summer but More than likely will focus on the Hyper7 instead.

That and 2 large Plano tackle boxes (both 777 Series hard cases) full of RC parts, special tools, and support hardware; makes this one REAL expensive hobby. The HPI and its support hardware alone have cost more than what my real car is worth (I have a shitty Saturn SL2 still hehehe)

(you need to be registered to see all the pics attached to this post)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI1.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2997   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI2.jpg
Views:	1317
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	2998   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI3.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2999   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI4.jpg
Views:	1274
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	3000   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI5.jpg
Views:	1566
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	3001  

Name:	HPI6.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	3002   Click image for larger version

Name:	group.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	3003   Click image for larger version

Name:	losi1.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	3004   Click image for larger version

Name:	ofna1.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	3005   Click image for larger version

Name:	ofna2.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	3006  

Name:	ofna3.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	3007   Click image for larger version

Name:	ofna4.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	3008   Click image for larger version

Name:	ofna5.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	3009   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio1.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	3010   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio2.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	3011  

Name:	radio3.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	3012  

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.

Last edited by Joe; 04-23-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote