View Single Post
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #136
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Remember those touch sensor keys? well, at some point I had to actually put connectors on them so I could install them... which is what I was hoping to take care of tonight, but as fate (or my painting apparatus) had it, that was not to be. The bezel dropped off my hook and cracked the edge. Thankfully, with minimal effort and some of the IPS Weld-on 3 I was able to stick it back together. The curse of Zittware strikes again.

So, on with the show. Why did it take me a good 3 hours to do all 4 of these? Keep reading.

Part I: The monotony of it all!

Attach 82 ohm resistors to cathodes of LEDs.

Attach black wires (my color scheme... ;-)) to the anodes.

Attach wires to resistors.

Mark which black white does what, the cathodes were stripped on one end, and the tape helps me keep them paired up.

Sleeve.

Sleeve some more. All 5 wires coming out are sleeved, and the center wire (going to touch sensor itself) gets its own sleeve. I could have bundled it in with the LED lines, but why risk noise and false triggers on the touch sensors if you don't have to! The LEDs come out on their own short lenghts of sleeving, then another length of sleeving covers all 4 of the LED wires, which goes down to... (see next pic.)

The plug end. The single line has no plug on it because I'm not sure what I'm going to use to connect the touch sensors into the chassis control board.

Make sure everything still works (white LED in this case, but the blue works too ;-))

And 3 hours later I have 4 of them! Hooray. >_>

Part II: Paint until nightfall, that's when the bugs come out.

Top primered. I have to do a few more coats after the inital wetsand w\ 400 grit, but this is the beginnings of the paint job.

Had to really sand the crap out of the OEM finish on the bottom of the case, all sorts of scratches and gouges in the factory paint. Mostly due from me using it w\ no feet on it for several months last year (shame on me!)

That's it for now. Hopefully I can get the front bezel painted and the sensors intalled sometime soon.
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote