View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #149
starbuck3733t
Cooling Savant

Another S**t G** D***it moment

I finished off the stealth activity leds around 1:00 AM yesterday, everything works fine... all 8 of them: SCSI HDDs, IDE HDDs, Optical 1 Write, Optical 1 Read, Optical 2 Read, Network 1 Act/Link, Network 2 Act/Link, Network 1&2 @ anything other than 1000mb/s (fault.)

So I went to hook up the light show to shoot a few pics (as I didn't take any of the nic card mod, who of you wants to see me hack @ a dual port gig ethernet card, anyway!) and discover that some of the key backlights didn't work. Wierd. I fiddle with the connection on the 1 and find that something inside the heatshrink had shorted, but I wiggled it and it happily un-shorted.^_^ So I attempt to do the same on the other one, only to find out that it's oddly dim (not the right color of white as the others) after I wiggle it. So I figure its a very, very minor short and continue peeling away at the heatshrink and sleeve until I've got the whole thing loose... and BROKE THE LEGS OFF THE LED which is EPOXIED INTO THE KEY. Damnit! :duh:

So now I have to take the bezel off (which isn't a big deal, 2 8-32 threaded machine screws) and DRILL OUT the LED, and epoxy a replacement. Damnit Damnit Damnit!!!
Goliath: 3.4E@3.91/Abit IC7, Maze4 (temporarily) + custom splitter to crazy 4-way watercooling parallel loop: X800XT @ 520/1280 + AC Twinplex, AC Twinplex Northbridge, Silenstar Dual HDD Cooler, Eheim1250, '85 econoline van HC + 2x120, 1x120 exhaust - polished aluminum frame panaflo L1As, 2x18GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI, 4GB PC4000.

I wanna be BladeRunner when I grow up!

Project Goliath - nearing completion.
starbuck3733t is offline   Reply With Quote