Thread: Galden ZT 150
View Single Post
Unread 03-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #50
Ultraviolet
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Galden ZT 150

The power supply looks good, at least according to the specs, but being located in Boston, I really don't want to deal with the shipping or rma if there is a problem with it. The largest fanless psu that I've found available in the States is a 460watter by Luxurae or something like that--it's 12v rails are pathetic though and wouldn't cut it for the number of drives I want. I'm really seriously thinking I'm just going to dunk a fanned PSU. I'm a horrible artist and have no CAD like software, but I whipped this up in mspaint just so people can sort of visualize what I'm thinking and critique appropriately.

It's a glass case, dimension will depend on the pump, mobo size etc, but I'm hoping to make smaller than a typical midsize case. The top is plexi and I'll use a dremel to fit the mobo an pci cards nicely in there The blue blob is the PSU, I'm thinking of mounting it with the fan and cord facing upward. The pump (not drawn) I would like to suspend toward the top so it would be pumping the hottest liquid out. The outlet would go through 4 hdd blocks then to the radiator. The return, which I drew, I would have arranged such that it flowed directly over the processor. The cool liquid would sink and the PSU fan would sort of circulate it. I was/am still worried about the PSU fan's ability to push the liquid, but then I saw some guy who filled a fishtank with vegetable oil and has had the PSU fan running for over a year.

In keeping with BillA's suggestion to have specific questions, I have 2:

1.) I'm considering a smallish home heating radiator of the type seen here http://www.simplyradiators.co.uk/pages/aluminium.htm There is some data on it, but I'm having a hard time making it applicable to my situation. Considering the presence of a 500watt PSU in the liquid, near 0 airflow, but mounted on a cool to cold outer wall, how on earth do I go about figuring what dimensions I need for a radiator?

2.) What is the quietest pump that will work with this situation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC.jpg (35.4 KB, 5 views)
Ultraviolet is offline   Reply With Quote