View Single Post
Unread 09-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: Help with making new water block

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmkg
How deep can a hole saw cut?

I would be using plexi, if the plexi sheets are held tighly there is no chance of leaks through them right?

Is there any way I could 'hollow' up the copper plate using just a drill machine?

I have always had bad luck with silicon and I am never going to use it again for whatever purpose it be.

The barbs would be held through the plexi sheets by a nut. Now just need to cut plexi properly as I cannot get a straight cut.
Hole saw goes all the way through up to 2-4" depending on the saw. I can't think of a easy way to hollow the copper. Copper is a bitch to work with being it is so dense. You can get an X Y table for the drill press and use a mills endmill to make the cuts but drill presses are meant for vertical loads not horizontal.

Plexi will leak like hell if there is no sealant in there. Have to put something in there. If you don't like silicone or plumbers goop then you might find some thin rubber sheets and make a gasket with it. Or you could use all copper (or copper base and brass middle and top) and solder the pieces together and lap the hell out of the base to get it flat again.

If you use plexi and use a sealant then you need to scratch up the smooth sides of the plexy so the sealant has grooves to latch on to and anchor itself.

If you have a Dremel or similar then you have more options. You can make a Rotor style block. Check this thread out:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=117109

Last edited by jaydee; 09-28-2007 at 07:34 AM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote