Thread: Blue or UV CCD?
View Single Post
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:37 PM   #6
Bignuts
Cooling Savant

Default Other stuff that glows...

While it is true that there are things laying around the house that will glow under UV, the best thing I have found is to go to a local autoparts store and ask for some UV coolant leak tester dye.

I got some from a local NAPA (they only had the green stuff there). It came in a little brown bottle, all of one fluid oz.!

Dont let this bring ya down though, nor be put off by the ORANGE color. This stuff is so concentrated that the bottle will do about 20 applications, maybe more! The dark orange tint goes away when you add it to water, anfd it gets WAY green, WAY fast. more than a 6 DROPS will be overdoing it per a whole gallon!

I did get the blue stuff from a online vendor, and it isnt nearly intense as the green stuff, but if you are not looking for intensity its no big deal. If you would like to bolster the strength of the blue stuff you ordered, I have found that adding the green, VERY SLOWLY on the tip of a pin, or small nail, will let you achieve the desired effect. Adding the green will change the tint of the color, but on the sample that I had, the brightness increase was well worth it.

And how much did this bottle of dye cost at NAPA? $4

No Kidding.

This is why I am not gonna bother going into much detail about the common UV glowing stuff around the house, other than to say that you will likely be disappointed in the results.

Most of the "household" glowing UV stuff looks great when in the dry form, (bright blue-white) but is worse than the blue UV dye that is sold at the common watercooling shops when added to water. Some of the things I have tried are fabric "brighteners" like Woolite and RIT (I think that was the name brand). All have ended up in disappointment.

There IS aother thing that seems to work very well, and is available in many colors, UV magic markers. The big down side to these is that they also are hard to clean off stuff if it drops or leaks, but they can give you some decent results.

One of the few other places I have found online for coolant dye is caseetc.com.

I would recommend that if you are looking to do the UV effect, only go with a neon/UV/Cathode that is specifically made to emit true UV, not just a blue one. and hope that you will get some bleedover UV. here is a guy that did it well, with one chamber of his rig with a green cathode, and the other with a UV cathode and green UV marker dye,

Sa1nts rig:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sainta.jpg (10.8 KB, 220 views)
Bignuts is offline   Reply With Quote