View Single Post
Unread 02-26-2004, 09:13 PM   #21
Cheesehead
Cooling Neophyte

I'm new to the boards, but I know my way around a computer and am interested in watercooling the A64 system i'm saving up for, and intend to do it myself.
On the issue of compressed gas-Why not use Co2? You can buy 6 12-gram cartriges for about 3$ USD, and a 20.00 20-0z bottle intended for paintball guns can be refilled for about 5$. It's a nonflammable gas, and is what is used for MIG welding. Of course, I'm no metallurgist, but it's an idea.
To cast the waterblock, you could do lost-wax casting. It works by making a wax cast identical to that of the intended waterblock. You then pour a small amount of plaster of paris and water in the bottom of a disposable container, like a milk carton. After you let the plaster set, stick a straw into the flat bottom of the wax cast, and place it face down (straw up) and pour in enough plaster of paris to cover it by about 1 cm. You then peel off the milk carton, and place it in a fire or hot oven. This melts out the wax and the straw, so you can pour in the melted silver. After that, all you need to do is crack open the plaster and take out the waterblock, and cut off the small remaining nub of metal formed by the straw. Then, just lap the waterblock, and you're done.
I hope that I was able to help; I am new to watercooling, and do not even have my own rig yet. I'm not exactly rich, so help on making your own watercooling setup is a godsend.
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote