View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #41
Roscal
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
I can't help but feel some of Roscal's comments were directed my way.
Not at all, it's for people who think that Storm can't be beaten because it comes from you. I see a lot of stupid comments on forums about that story Apogee Vs Storm, I am under the impression that we've got kids in a fight to know who got the best toy and Swiftech brake their dreams with its new model... "OMG, Apogee is 0.5°C better @100W, what a drama", it's the feeling that a lot of people give me, but they aren't be able to understand what tests give us and what they represent really on a real machine. There are so many factors involved in these measurements that you can't say what are exactly the absolute performances, it's always relative to others factors like the heated system in this particular case...

Actual processors have an IHS, we can't neglect it (should we?) and if someone think the contrary, he's wrong. You want correct data? You have to replicate a similar system to reproduce as close as possible the thermal behaviour of a real product, naked dies are good for some things, not for all of them. No difficulties to understand that fact I think ? I don't say that TTV is the St Graal, it's a different way to measure, but why TTV will be less interesting than a simple die? Show us some true evidence if you are so categorical (it's a general question, not yo you Cathar). You're arguing using some pretexts which can be determined and measured if a good cross study is made, but nobody makes it, is it my fault? Effects are common to all WB measured on a same system and this is why multiple mounting are required for example, we don't need to know how TIM will react exactly because it will react in a same manner each time (flat IHS, same pressure, multliple alternate mountings, etc.) and you could control it if you really want. All is relative !! Again, thermal management is not a simple science, not at all, especially int this case...
Roscal is offline   Reply With Quote