View Single Post
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:37 AM   #62
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieNotSoRich
I'm not sure if this is fact or fiction but I've heard people say that placing your pump too close to your HDD is liable to cause data corruption. Perhaps clarifying this would be a good addition to your wc myths.
'tis total and utter fiction.

Unsure of the exact figures as I've forgotten them by now, but basically the magnetic effort required to flip a bit on a hard drive platter is really quite high, and the disk drive heads only achieve this by sitting ~1 micron or so above the platter. The amount of magnetic force being applied by the write head at that level is about equal to a rare-earth magnet, which is about 50x stronger than your average "fridge" magnet.

At even the 1cm distance from the platter to get to the casing of the hard drive, since magnetic field strength drops proportionally to the distance squared, we're talking about a magnet force needing to be about 100 million times stronger than a the write head to achieve data corruption.

Since the pump is typically about 10cm away from the hard-drive, we're now talking a magnetic field necessary to corrupt data to be about 10 billion times stronger than the disk write head. That sort of magnetic field strength is something you'd notice as anything ferro-magnetic that got within about 10 meters of the pump would get sucked to the pump with tremendous force.

Last I check, pump's magnetic fields weren't causing me to dodge flying metallic objects in my room - but I could be wrong...
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote