View Single Post
Unread 06-05-2003, 11:31 PM   #102
flyingass
Cooling Neophyte

yes, my c030p5-1 pump is unquestionably direct drive. attempting to turn the impeller and the motor shaft in opposite directions is....well, entirely futile.

regarding the mechanical seal: the manual recommends, if the pump is mounted horizontally, for the impeller end to be lower than the motor housing, presumably in case of a leak - at least that's the only reason i could think of for it to be mounted in such a way.

The manual does state that these are rated for continuous duty, but i can't find any mention of a MTBF.

the brushes, though, are definitely designed to last quite some time. unfortunately i can't have access to a digital camera or i'd take pictures. They consist of spring-loaded chunks of a fairly soft copper-colored metal, 3/8 inch long (1cm) with a square cross section of aobut 5mm. Rotor looks to be a purer, harder copper compound 1-1.5mm thick.

Once stepback gets his pump apart, we'll see how much a year of use takes off the brushes - but i suspect they could survive quite a bit more continuous use than that.
flyingass is offline   Reply With Quote