View Single Post
Unread 08-08-2002, 04:18 PM   #99
Limeygreg
Cooling Neophyte

Hi BB2K

Copper stock was from a grounding bus plate so it's only 1/4" thick. The channels were made with a 3/16" milling bit (smallest I had at the time) and are a little under 3/16" deep leaving a little more than 1/16" at the thinnest part. I had calculated the CSA and SA figures but now I can't find them - I suppose I could sit down with a calc and do them again. The CSA is slightly larger than the csa of a 1/2" ID tube but the ID on the barbs was opened up from 3/8" to 7/16" so they are probably going to be the limiting factor for now. I designed it to not be the bottleneck in a 1/2" system, I wanted it to be just a tad larger CSA so that I would get maximum flow velocity through the block, the limiting parts will be the interconnect tubing - although at present it is the 7/16" ID barbs that will limit the flow.

I am planning two other poly tops. One will have true 1/2" ID barbs and hopefully will be at about a 45 degree entry angle (although I will probably have to change the clamping mechanism if it works significantly better than the perpendicular entry barbs). The second top will have three barbs, 1/2" in the center and a 3/8" outlet at either end. I want to see just how much difference the different inlet/outlet methods affect the performance.

The system is not built yet as I am still working on the rad, but I am actually leaning toward putting together a test bed with a copper slug and resistive heat source (I have plenty of ceramic resistors at work as well as a Motorola Variable PSU that will give me 20v at 40 amps - so I got the heat source covered ). I'm going to try and build a manometer to measure delivery presure. Flow rate will have to be by timing and weigh the coolant (water) method.

I have access to some interesting temperature measurement equipment and hope to use that to give me a idea of which inlet/outlet configuration works best - so don't hold your breath waiting as I will be doing it during my breaks at work so it may be a little while. I am also planning another block base but with 1/16" wide x 1/8" deep channels, the tops will be interchangable.

Several people have asked what the rate of flow is, I can't answer that yet as I have not tested it - but the problem I have with that question is that it's not meaningful if you don't reference it to a pump delivery pressure. One of the other aspects I hope to investigate is how much heat the pump puts into the water. The way I see it is that a good tuned system will use a high flow low resistance block with a low resistance radiator capable of bringing the coolant close to ambient using minimal air flow (read fan noise here) and a pump just big enough to circulate the coolant (with a little to spare) - so, as a system it will be efficient and quiet.
Limeygreg is offline   Reply With Quote