View Single Post
Unread 08-06-2002, 08:04 AM   #87
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by myv65
Hey Ben,

Don't forget about structural integrity in all this. A 1mm thick base isn't liable to support the 12-24 lbf of clamping pressure (AMD spec) without excess deformation.

As to removing the heat the same way it goes in, it doesn't really work out that well. It gets in via conduction through a thermal interface of some finite thermal resistance. Interface resistances tend to be small compared to the convection coefficients we can generate. This means that even direct impingement coolers require higher delta-Ts on the water side than the "inlet" from the die.

Isolating yourself on an island around the core would also be detrimental. Yeah, you'd force all heat to get out through a small area, but so what? All you're doing is losing out on what small percentage would otherwise escape outside the "island". Given an alternative between a good conductor the size of the die only and another with the same conductance but much larger area, the larger area will do better even with direct impingement.

Oh yeah, and no problemo taking a look at Michael's design, I just didn't have time at the moment I read your post earlier.
I know what you mean about the structural part. I'm going to have to run a few numbers on that, but the concept remains the same. Alternatively, the copper island could be mounted in plexi, but then the structural integrity of the block would be in far greater danger.

As for the heat conduction, I understand that, given a solid block of copper, the heat would spread in essentially a "spherical" pattern, from the source. So I'm thinking about reproducing that "sphere" in order to apply the cooling evenly. Also, this "sphere" can't be too thick, otherwise I'm defeating the purpose, so I used the 5mm measurement (although still preliminary) as a guide, to come up with what I did (design #2B)

I hear you about using a larger mass as a baseplate, but I'm exploring the idea of minimizing the copper mass, to its absolute smallest (structural integrity included though). That's how I came up with design#1 (center inlet option). I don't believe that the extended perimeter of the copper baseplate is necessary, other than for structural purposes. The core is only 80mm^2 in area, so why would I otherwise use a 2 in. by 2 in. plate, especially if the heat spreads from the center out?
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote