View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
Graystar

Default Made my own waterblock!

Introducing the "WhatBlock?" micro waterblock

This block was made from sheet stock and copper tubing from OnlineMetals. Almost every cut was made with a Skil 4580 jigsaw and metal cutting blade. The holes were made with regular twist drill bits. A Dremel cutoff wheel was used to make the internal cuts on the middle piece.

I made this block to test a couple concepts. The first was to see how well a thin base can perform. The second was to see if a narrow channel would help heat up more of the water.

I can say that this block is performing slightly better than the Ahanix Iceberg1 waterblock. Even with a cheap pump, the flow through the block is substantial, about the same as the Ahanix block. I believe the limiting factor in my setup is the radiator, so I think I'll have even better results when I get a good rad.

Right now the CPU with the micro block is at 43C while the other aircooled processor is at 52C (I got a really hot computer.)

There were concerns about the base bowing. Let me tell ya...this thing is rock solid. I can't bow the base even if I grab the tubes and squeeze really hard. After having it on for a day the base didn't even have a mark from the die. So it's more than strong enough.

Last edited by Graystar; 03-24-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote