View Single Post
Unread 03-24-2003, 04:32 PM   #17
Graystar

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
Let me start by saying good job, I like it.......
Thanks! It was a challenge and I had fun making it.

Quote:
Now let me tell you what "I" would do a bit different and see if you can agree or disagree.

What I would do, is make the base thicker, for the simple fact, that I would try and get as much surface area as I could. now with a thicker base, I would put the micro channels as you show. But I would take them deeper. I would also sand blast it, as the rough surface will yeild a bit more surface area. I to would also score (Micro channel the top plate and blast it as well, because a small block like this will probably indeed be transfering the heat to both plates.)

I think that the smooth surfaces of the block are what may be holding back better temps. And the other components that you have. But with a dual system those are not all that bad of temps.
I agree with you on the base modification, but one of the design goals of this block was to build it with a hacksaw and a drill. Well, I ended up buying a jigsaw for the cuts (which worked out great,) but otherwise there are no special tools needed to make this thing. Microchannels would be wonderful if you can find an easy way to make them without a milling machine.

I agree with the sandblasting in principle, however I had to rely on the flatness of the sheet of copper, as delivered from OnlineMetals, for my flat base. Every cut and hole was made with the sheet sandwiched between plywood, so that it wouldn't deform. Sandblasting or peening would deform the sheet. I don't think I'd be able to make it flat again.

Finally, I agree that the smooth inner channel is holding back performance. But I have enough material to make at least 20 of these blocks. I think this block is a great reference point, in that I can now make single changes, such as base scoring, or a wider channel, and compare results.

I think a slightly wider channel might be the next thing to do. I wanted a wider channel, but was afraid that the base might bow under pressure. HA! What was I thinking? There's no way that base is going to bow! I can't even bow it with my hands squeezing the tubes. It's really solid. Then I'll try the scoring. That should make a real difference (I hope!)
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote