View Single Post
Unread 02-19-2003, 03:25 PM   #10
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Thank you aenigma. Please continue to post here so that others can share! There's no need to get snooty. If you thought I was, then please re-interpret. I was merely concerned that Hydrogen18 was preparing to start without being aware of the possible dangers. That's why I specifically said, that he can just forge ahead with some guesswork values while blowing things out with some dry propane.

Yes, I know that propane is better than R134a.
Yes, I know that propane is compatible with both mineral oil and POE.

Yes, propane is compatible with both lubricants, but I was referring to the need to flush the compressor. If he sticks with mineral oil, he has no need to clean out the compressor to switch over to POE.

As for wax buildup, YOU ARE CORRECT, so thanks for the better info. I heard it was acid formation, from cross contamination, not wax buildup, but that is wrong info. You and bowman (for example) are far more knowledgeable about HVAC than I am. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from experimentation, but I do encourage people to really know what they are doing before they burn up or otherwise damage their compressor. Cross contamination is such a danger. So is insufficient capillary tube length, water contamination, etc...

The purpose of my questions was to encourage hydrogen18 to do some research and reading, not to irritate him. You and bowman know far more than I do about HVAC, so no argument there. But, unless you get to a certain point, trying to start an HVAC system will be more frustration than joy.

Now, for a more enjoyable topic, a technical question for aenigma, if he is willing to answer.

Why would it be 6'? Is that based upon the 1/4hp figure? I thought it was compressor specific, since it would depend upon the pressure differential as well as the flow rate curve from the compressor. This is why I suggested looking up figures from the mfg. I thought you would also would need to figure in the heatload to make sure you were not going to send liquid back to the compressor while making sure that as much as possible of the evaporator is flooded. Anyway, the rule of thumb I saw on www.rparts.com was for about 50"-55", but that may be for a heavier load than a CPU would create.

Anyway, I hope we can keep the conversation positive while not encouraging people to burn up their equipment (which is what I was trying to do).
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote