View Single Post
Unread 09-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #42
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I will update this with why I havn't got to the block project article. My first run was pretty unsucessful. Didn't come out nearly aswell as I planned. Anyway here are some pics with descriptions. Sorry for the fuzzy one's.
Here is the drawing:http://www.customcooledpc.com/DIYTypeR/DIYtype.zip
The idea is to drill out the smaller holes first. Then when you drill out the bigger hole it will connect everything. You have to do the smaller holes first becasue the drill bit that small will snap if it bends which will happen if it slides into the bigger hole.

I printed it to scale, cut it out, and taped it tothe copper block then used a hole punch to attempt to make a cup so the drill bit would not slide around on entry so the hole would be more accurate. This was my 1st mistake. Turned out to be a bad idea because I got very few holes center perfectly with the punch.
-------------

Drilled the smaller holes with a 1/16" bit.
-------------

Drilled the bigger holes with the 1/8" bit. As you can see this didn't work to well because of the badly off center pre-punched holes.
-------------

So I took the dremel to it to connect the holes and make the channels. The smaller holes made a a breeze to cut the channels with the dremel as there was a lot less material to remove.
-------------

Still pretty sloppy and not the results I wanted and I havn't had the chance to redo it.

Next time I will not pre-punch the holes and see what happens.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote